Why Do Diversity & Inclusion Initiatives Fail?
Starting a diversity & inclusion initiative can propel your organization towards harnessing its diversity in the service of productivity. What many do not understand is that this is essentially an organizational development (OD) effort to create a change in culture, which is difficult. There are a considerable number of diversity and inclusion landmines that professionals need to navigate. The organization’s leadership may understand the benefits of valuing diversity, but have a difficult time taking it to heart. Then there is the challenges of on-boarding the entire organization, which can feel at times to be an insurmountable task. One way to increase the probability of success is to learn from the mistakes of others’ efforts to implement a diversity & inclusion initiative. Below is a list of sources of failure.
- Failure to establish specific goals for the diversity & inclusion initiativesÂ efforts and interventions
- Failure to demonstrate sufficient courage to deal the resistance in the organization and among key managers
- Failure to specify both shortÂ and long-term diversity & inclusion initiatives goals for the effort
- Failure to keep the real client in mind
- Failure to work with real organizational diversity & inclusion needs
- Failure to be honest about what needs to be done and why
- Failure to develop viable options when ideas do not work
- Failure to solve problems by producing “quick fixes.”
- Failure to work with the organization as it is rather than as you would like it to be
- Failure to measure or evaluate the activities
Other reasons include:
11. Failure to plan for and build toward the client managers’ ownership of the OD effort
12. Failure to escape entrapment in the “mystique” of OD, which leads to a distorted interpretation of the OD process
13. Failure to tailor the effort to the jointly analyzed needs of the specific organization
Can you think of anything else to add to this list? If so, please send your ideas to us so we can share them.
Don’t let all these negatives make you feel like the job is too big. Simply being aware that certain negative behavior patterns have the potential to negatively influence on success can help avoid suchÂ behaviors.
This article was originally printed as Top 10 Reasons Diversity OD Efforts Fails (http://dtui.com/start_own.html#Reasons).
Author: DTUI.com Team (http://dtui.com/about-dtui-com/)