This section offers research data and a series of interviews with diversity officers and organizational leaders that champion diversity.
The following is a summary of Diversity Best Practices six month study of 170 diversity officers at Fortune 500 companies.*
Average salary of $225,000.
- 23% make $300,000
- 46% make $200,000 to $300,000
- 30% make $100,000 to $200,000
- Bonuses range from $50,000.00 to $100,000.00
2. $2,800,000.00 average annual office budget
3. The title for a diversity officer’s position varies:
- Vice President (65%)
- Chief Diversity Officer (24%)
- Senior Vice President (9%)
- Director (17%)
Many chief diversity officers are also have the title of vice president or senior vice president.
4. The diversity officer has an average staff size of about 8 employees
- 58% with 4 to 20 employees
- 30% with more than 20
5. Average tenure
- 10 years with the company
- 4 years in the position
6. Board reporting
- 75 percent of diversity officers report to corporate boards on a regular basis
* Only relevant to the United States. The data do not apply to higher education and other non-business sectors